Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I am having a shuddering at low speeds whether in or out of

Customer Question

I am having a shuddering at low speeds whether in or out of gear. It only happens when starting slow in 1st, costing slowly, and coming to a stop. I have new brakes, newer tires (less than 8K on them)
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: they were put on approximately 3 months ago. the problem started as a slight rattle that sounded like it was behind the dash and only recently has progressively gotten worse and shaking
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 05 Wrangler TJ 4.0 6 speed manual
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I do some of the less complicated work. I have only looked underneath and pulled a few suspension components to check for movement
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you checked the fluid in the differential?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not recently, but they were checked within the last month
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am at work at the moment but would be able to take a call tomorrow at the latest.

I am sorry, I did not send a request for a call, the system does that automatically.

Does your vibration seem to be related to the brakes at all? In other words, I know it happens when slowing down, but if you were to let off of the brakes, does it still occur?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does not. If i am just coasting or drifting it will do it. I initially thought it could be the transmission but today on a downhill slope in traffic with the trans in neutral, it would do it as soon as i let off of the brake and would stop when the jeep stops. It initially sounded like something loose behind the dash, but as it got worse the shuddering started.

The only other thing I could think of other than the differential is perhaps the wheel bearing(s) in the front. I would suggest lifting the vehicle and spinning the wheels in the front while off the ground while feeling the springs...if there is a bad bearing, the spring should vibrate enough for you to feel it.

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you are still in need of assistance with your jeep.

Hi, are you still looking for help with your question? If so, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer using the star rating system above. Thanks!

Hi, it's Josh checking in again to see if you still need any help. If so, please dont hesitate to ask and if not, please take a moment and rate my service. Thanks!