Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee LImited 5.7 hemi & my A.C.

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee LImited 5.7 hemi & my A.C. fluid is leaking out every week. My mechanic (without checking mine out) tells me to purchase a new condenser as he has worked on many jeeps & this is the problem. My question is should I spend the $60.00 to have a A/C place put in the dye in determining exactly where the lead is? I don't want to sound cheap but what if it's not the condenser? .
JA: What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it?
Customer: I can't find where the leak is occuring? I don't see any fluid leaks simply the A.C stops blowing cold air until I put in another can of fluid.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a good mechanic who does all my work but when I asked him if he could put in the dye he said he was familiar with 2011 jeeps and the condenser is the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have 67,000 miles on my Jeep and it runs like a clock. One more question not pertaining to the A.C. I have considered purchasing a K&M Filter for improving the mileage not necessarily the horsepower, is this J&M a good long term investment or just a hoax as I will keep my Jeep forever? Vic ........***@******.***.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 12 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

If your freon is leaking out then yes I suggest charging the system with UV dye and then check for your leak.. The condenser is a known issue since the transmission cooler is built into it as well and then your evaporator in the dash is the other know issue.. But I would never just guess what is leaking, you need to charge it with dye and locate the leak before replacing any parts...

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for your advise. This of course is the logical answer but glad to have your response. I responded to the site as it said the cost was $5.00. I received a response indicating it is $26.00. I do not want to pay over the $5.00 fee. Thank you. Vic P.S. I did ask another question regarding a product made by K&M Filter for my 2011 5.7 Jeep....Is it worth the investment as I was more interested in improving the gas mileage than horsepower? Also, is adding the K&M filter better for the efficiency of my car?
Vic
Expert:  Brad replied 12 months ago.

I'm just a site user so I can't help with the payment issue, but if you contact the guys at JustAnswer they will be more than glad to help you out..

Also I don't recommend using anything other than the factory air filter...

Glad I could help and don't forget to rate so I get credit for helping..

Have a great weekend

Brad