Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

2003 Jeep Liberty question

Customer Question
2003 Jeep Liberty question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/19/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

What is the question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here's my question...My daughter drives a 2003 Liberty with about 120k on it. The Jeep had been sitting for about a week and (she is just getting her license) and went out to start it but battery was dead. Tried jumping but didn't work so had the battery tested and picked up a new one. While I was installing it, I accidently (briefly) touched the positive and negative with the ratchet (I know, I know...stupid) and got a fire brief spark. I went ahead and hooked up the battery but it's completely dead. No juice at all to the car (light, doors, etc.) so wondering if there is a main fuse that popped?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I meant a brief spark...not a fire!

I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Jeep Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

do you still need help??

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do. Here's my question...My daughter drives a 2003 Liberty with about 120k on it. The Jeep had been sitting for about a week and (she is just getting her license) and went out to start it but battery was dead. Tried jumping but didn't work so had the battery tested and picked up a new one. While I was installing it, I accidently (briefly) touched the positive and negative with the ratchet (I know, I know...stupid) and got a brief spark. I went ahead and hooked up the battery but it's completely dead. No juice at all to the car (light, doors, etc.) so wondering if there is a main fuse that popped?

ok, I looked on the alldata and do not see a main. if you have a test light or volt meter we can do some checks for voltage. hopefully you only blew fuses and did not damage any modules

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm wondering if there's any sort of fusible link?

lets check for voltage first at the fuse block.

do you have a test light or volt meter??

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a volt meter but admittedly not real experienced with it

ok, start at the battery. black lead on the negative and red lead is the one we will be moving around

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok...any setting that the volt meter need to be on?

see if you have a 20 volt dc setting

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
got it

what is the battery voltage???

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12.38

good.

now is the fuse box above the battery??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
fuse box is directly in front of the battery. I get the same reading of 12.38 at the spot where the battery cable connects to the fusebox

good, now the fuses. you can probe the top of the fuses to check for power. look for power on both sides. you may have to turn on the key

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I'm not able to get the red probe down into where the fuses are because there's no room (these are some really strange looking square fuses about 3/4 inch square). I am able to get the probe in some spots where there are no fuses and its reading 12.38 in some spots and 6.6 in others

ok, get a flash light and look at the big fuses and check them for broken wires inside. if you cannot see you will have to remove one at a time and the ohm meter part of your volt meter to check the fuses

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok...all of the fuses are ok visually. I checked the voltage of each of the spots where the fuses go and most are ready 12.38 or close to it. However, some are reading almost zero or 0.05. To be clear, the lower number only appears on one side of the some fuse spot...i.e. where each fuse has tow spots, one is reading 12.38 and the other is reading the low number. Out of 21 fuses, this occurs in about 5 or 6 of them.

those fuses are blown and need to be replaced/ replace them with new

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hold on just want to be clear and make sure I did this correctly. What setting should the meter be on for the ohm test. I see 200, 2k, 20k 200k, 2m, 20m

200 was fine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I just rechecked all of the big ones. they read between 00.6 - 00.8

they are good. if they were bad OL would come up on the ohm meter

what does not work in the car??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing works. No lights or power of any kind. It's as though the battery is disconnected.
roybelding
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician