Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

1999 grand cherokee limited, no crank issue, I can use a

Customer Question
jumper wire in the starter...
1999 grand cherokee limited, no crank issue, I can use a jumper wire in the starter relay pin 30 to 87 and the jeep starts and runs. I have a new battery, starter, pcm, tcm, solenoid pack inside trans(45rfe, mopar updated), battery cables, ignition switch. I checked wiring to and from modules, grounds good. My gensis scanner shows trans in park and neutral are good. I do not have the pin code for the rebuilt pcm and I do not have codes or theft lights on. I have a factory service manual and it is not making sense, all checks ok? Was working when purchased 6 months ago now has been sitting fur 6 weeks trying to figure this out, I am a ase master heavy mechanic not a small car one and it is pissing me off so I figured to give you guys a try, I live way out in the boonies and no way of getting to a dealer if needed. What do you think?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
10/15/2016
Jeep Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Is this a v8 or a v6?

Nevermind. I see it is a 4.7

Do you have a test light? WIth the starter relay removed and the key ON, do you have power on pins 85 and 30 of the relay?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does have power at that pun with key on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
need help, and $38 bucks for this answer is not worth it, need better help for this price!
Jeep Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, if you have power at the appropriate places at the relay base, and it starts and runs with 30 and 87 jumpered. then the relay should be the culprit wouldnt you think? have you tried another one?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the relay tests fine, and i tried others, not it thx

have you checked the wiring from the relay to each place it goes for high resistance shorts to ground? or the condition of the wiring i.e. corrosion producing high resistance? have you done a pull test on any wiring to make sure the pins are locked into their connectors? and not pushed back a little?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the wires, ohm'd and voltage drop and all were in specs.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** a factory service manual with all the diagrams

this doesnt make sense. I have to believe its the pcm. I know you replaced it. but thats the only possible thing it can be. it either needs reprogrammed, reflashed, or replaced again. did you check the grounds at the pcm area?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's were I am at and why I needed some fresh eyes, I came to the same conclusion and did replace the pcm and tcm , I may see about a different pcm, I emailed the company and am waiting to hear back, I checked all grounds and ran test grounds and power to eliminate all possibilities

well you are as thorough as they come my friend. I wish there was something else I could suggest. Have checked all the voltages/grounds for the DLC?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah, this has got me, I have never ever had a issue I could no fix in my 30 years of doing this, so I am pissed off, I am sure it is something stupid but I feel I have covered all avenues

sorry man. ive been a mechanic for 32 and I am out of thoughts. I think its going to come down to a loose ground somewhere or as mentioned the computer. i can opt out and see if another tech might have a different thought.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I hope someone has come across this before

good luck

Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello!

Different expert here.

I would like to help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any help is good at this point

I am just reading the post to get cought up

Does the engine crank over if you supply power to the female pin 87 of the starter relay with it removed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
supply battery voltage to pin and jeep starts fine, relay is good, circuit is good

Ok, excellent! They is has to be a bad connection where you plug in the relay.

Unless your missing a ground going into the relay on pin 86? Is that the case?

Looking through this thread I could not see if you said that there is a ground going to this relay or not..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The ground is through the solenoid pack in trans

Right. So are you getting a ground from the solenoid pack in the transmission to the starter relay?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Testing shows yes, and my genus is shows good

So all three inputs to the relay check out good correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ohm'd out good and voltage drop is ok, that's were I am at and had to suck up my pride and ask other techs if they have come across this issue

NO problem. We have all been there before.

How are you checking for a ground to the relay? Can you upload some pics, video or maybe we can talk on the phone?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Power probe , test light and dvm

Ok, send some pics..

Is the relay clicking when you turn the key to the CRANK position?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No which leads me to believe it's that circuit but it tests good ?

Chances are you have not tested the circuit under a load. Thats when you get the most accurate test results

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Used a test relay with test with test pins

Let me see

I think something simple is being overlooked. I dont think your testing it correctly and therefore not getting the desired results. That's why I would like to see what your doing and how your testing it. Remember, you asked for a fresh set of eyes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem and no offense here , getting ready to eat with friends and will get to it next weekend

Sounds good no problem.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Customer/p>
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman