Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Drove it to the grocery store lastnight. Parked outside,

Customer Question
drove it to the grocery...
drove it to the grocery store lastnight. Parked outside, everything was fine. I was inside 20min. I come back outside and turn the key, nothing happens. I just put a new battery in recently, so I know its not that. It's not cranking or trying to turn at all. just dead.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: park.
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2005 jeep grand cherokee.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to. I havent really done anything so far. Just took the battery up to the auto store where they tested it. They said it was fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, I think thats everything.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
10/14/2016
Jeep Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

even though you replaced the battery it can still be drained.

do you have a volt meter to do some checks??

do you have a battery charger??

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I actually just dropped a brand new battery in it today, and its still doing the same thing. I took my old one (2yrs old) to the auto parts store where I bought it. They replaced it because they said it was bad, it was still under warranty. I personally don't think the old batter was bad. Yesterday, the lights and everything worked on the car. But when I turned the key it just made like one clicking noise and that was it. No effort out of the starter or mechanical parts. I put the new battery in today (1st thing I tried to take out of the equation). Its still doing the excact same thing.

ok, thanks

do you have a volt meter???

did you clean the cables real well???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't have a tool to clean the cables, because it is not at my house. Its stuck in a shopping center parking lot. I was thinking of going back up there to try that. I figured with the clean/new battery terminals, I might be able to at least get something different out of it. Or possibly get it home to further inspect. Its stuck in a shopping center parking lot. Do you think it could make all the difference if i try and clean the cables too? I can head up there now and try that.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have a volt meter. Forgot to include that. sorry.

ok, good. measure the battery voltage first

clean the cables

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No luck on that one.. cleaned the cables/terminals really good. Checked battery voltage too. 12.53v

ok, does anything work in the car???

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
everything except for the starting part. Its getting power from the battery. All the power windows are going up/down full speed. Lights work, horn ect. Everything sounds strong. When I turn the key, I can hear a solenoid click, but nothing happens. No cranking whatsoever.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be something with the starter? Don't those typically go bad over time, with symptoms? Instead of all at once? Battery part seems to be fine.

yep, thats next

down at the starter solenoid, there is a small wire on the solenoid. check that wire for 12 volts with the key in the start position

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ill probably need two people for this? Does it need to be in the start position? Or just "on"? I'm by myself right now.

needs to be in the start position. if you have voltage, the starter is bad

if no voltage, then we need to continue testing

Roy

roybelding
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician