Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2002 Grand Cherokee Jeep 4.7 V8..key symbol inside circle

Customer Question

Hi...2002 Grand Cherokee Jeep 4.7 V8..key symbol inside circle with line going across and fuel gauge showing empty on dashboard and engine will not start. I have checked all the fuses. I am in the Bahamas hope you can help. Thanks..Gerald
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: I know the tank is half full...no smell of any gas.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes..I'm trying but all I have done is checked the fuses.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Are you looking for possible causes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No..!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

No to which one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car will not start..I turned it off this morning and now it will not start...what can it be.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

It can be a lot of things. If the fuses are good, I suspect a bad computer or a bad instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be the crank sensor or something like that...there is nobody on this island that can check computer....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the instruments work except on the dash the fuel is showing empty but the tank is half full and there is a key symbol with a circle and a line going across it
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YES, it is possible that the camshaft position sensor and or crankshaft position sensor is shorting out pulling the PCM off line causing this problem. When this happens, the gauges on the cluster will not work..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I check this?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You can simply disconnect the electrical connector going to each sensor, turn the key on and see if the gauges now work. If so, one of the sensors is shorting out pulling the PCM down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know where the sonsors are...
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I can send you pics.

Can I get your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please send the pics. and I will send you the vin...I just need a couple of mins. to get it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN: 1J8GW68J42C313446
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Have you sent the pics or are you still working on this..Thks.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YES, one minute..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks...I will have to find a mechanic here on this small Island in the Bahamas to check this. But do you think this might be the problem? Also, could a wire be loose in the engine bay...
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

A loose wire would not do this..

A bad computer could do this like I mentioned.. or a shorted out sensor.. I would start by checking these sensors first.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!