Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.
7276279

Drivers side low beam headlight out. Bought new head light

Customer Question

Drivers side low beam headlight out. Bought new head light that's not problem.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: It's a sealed beam light. No indication that there's a fuse for drivers side low beam
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2004 wrangler unlimited
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler Unlimited yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Is there a traveler that goes from the passenger side connector to the drivers side that might have failed?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Tried a new bulb and cleaned connecttions
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Dose your Wrangler have DLR (daytime running lamps) or just normal lamps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a traveler that goes from the passenger side to the drivers side that might have failed
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you for that information, Both the driver side as well as the passenger side get the power from the switch on the violet/white wire, do you have power at this wire on the drivers side if you check it with a volt meter or a 12 volt test lamp with the light turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS High beams work on drivers side, just low beam out
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am aware of that, the power feed for the low beam on both side is violet/white wire, do you have power at this wire on the drivers side if you check it with a volt meter or a 12 volt test lamp with the light turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to get my meter and check on the power. There is one conductor on the passenger side (hi/low ok) at the lamp socket that looks bad. Wondering if that might be the issue if the circuit goes from the passenger side then to the drivers side.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Since both the LH and RH side share the same ground then is not likely a ground concern but instead a open circuit from the left side to the right side. The power come to the LH side first and then travels over to the RH side. See the wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference. I suspect you have a connection issue with likely a broken wire. Lets start with checking the power at the LD side first. Let me know the results and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Headlamp%20Sept%2026.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'll check and get back to you
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing, let me know and we can work from there is need be.