Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

It's over heating to the max 260. Replaced the thermostat…

It's over heating to...

It's over heating to the max 260. Replaced the thermostat and still over heating.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes. Filled resevoir to full mark and radiator.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2000 jeep grand cherokee larado 4.0 6 cylnder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far, I had a mechanic change the thermostat and that didn't fix the over heating problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure what else might be helpful.

9/23/2016
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Is the cooling fan coming on? Do you have any trouble codes stored in the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The cooling fan comes on. I'm not a mechanic and have no knowledge about codes stored in the computer.

When the engine is overheating does it seem like the cooling fan running full speed or just spinning leisurely?

Does it overheat more quickly when idling in traffic or when on the highway?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It appears to be working. It over heats within the first 5-10 minutes of it just sitting idle after cranking it.

If the fan is working properly, and the thermostat was changed then there are really only two options:

The water pump is faulty and no longer pumping the coolant- this happens when the water pump impeller corrodes off, usually after about 100k miles.

There is a head gasket leak allowing the combustion gasses to escape into the coolant and over heat.

Do you plan to repair this yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm looking at my repair options. How can I confirm the exact problem?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could changing the fan fix the problem?

To test the water pump you could remove the upper radiator hose with the engine running and see if the coolant comes rushing out. You'll want to have a catch pan or be somewhere that spilling coolant won't be a big deal- in other words, probably not in your garage.

Probably try it after the engine has only been running for a few minutes to that it's not terribly (and dangerously) hot.

If you want to test for a headgasket problem you can get a tester from the parts store that will test for combustion gases. These testers are fairly simple to use. They use a liquid that reacts to combustion fumes to indicate a headgasket issue.

Changing the fan could fix it, if it's not working correctly. When the engine is heated up it should be spinning really hard and loud.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
During this over heating issue, I learned that there was a recall on the following part: the electric radiator fan. I was going to carry it into the dealership for that repair, but, it's over heating to fast for me to get it to the dealership.

There is a recall involving the potential for the fan to crack and lose fan blades. If the fan blades seem intact then it might not really address the problem, but if the fan's motor is faulty then it just so happens to be covered under a recall and you could get the dealer to install a new one at no charge. Can you inspect the fan and blades for cracks?

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's currently dark outside, and, I'm not sure I would know what I'm looking for.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How much is a water pump for my vehicle?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it's the head gasket, is it better to replace it or get a new engine? What's the cost?

Take a look at the blades (when you can see them) and look for signs of obvious cracks. Then grab each fan blade (engine off of course) and see if any wiggles or moves.

Let me look up the labor rate for a water pump on your jeep.

Does the heater work? If you turn the heater on full blast will it take the temp down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't tested the heater since the thermostat was replaced, but, before it was replaced it wasn't blowing heat.

Oh, then it's a bad water pump for sure.

The water pump rates at 1.9 hours so about $200 in labor and about $100 in parts (water pump, gasket, and coolant).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The heater was working fine until the over heating issue started.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know a good mobile mechanic in the DFW area?

Yeah, I'll bet that's when the water pump impeller broke or corroded off.

No, unfortunately I don't. If you were in Albuquerque I could help, but I don't know anyone in any towns but my own.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now that you mention that, I noticed water near the hood when I went to check my fluid levels after it over heated initially. I knew it hadn't rained, so, I wondered where it came from. There were no busted hoses and no fluids from the radiator that I could see.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would the water pump affect the oil temp too? Both the oil temp and temperature gauges were registering hot and the "check gauges" light came on.

The oil temp gauge will increase because when the engine is overheating the oil is also overheating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you think it's the water pump for sure?

If the heater doesn't blow hot or bring the temp down when running it then it's definitely the water pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, that's good news. I'll have it checked. Would the vehicle still run if the head gasket was blown? I checked the oil and it doesn't look milky like they say it would when the gasket is blown. But, I did run the vehicle an additional 4-5 miles after it maxed to 260 to get it home. It still cranks, it just gets hot within 5-10 min.

Jeep has a temperature fail-safe that will shut the engine off if it reaches a temp that could cause a headgasket failure. You probably don't have any headgasket concerns. You would have milky coolant or milky oil if the headgasket was bad enough and it has been long enough since the headgasket failed.

I need to call it a night. Please don't forget to rate. That's how we get compensated for our time. I'll still be around for followup questions if you have them after rating.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You just made my evening! Thank you. I will ask for you if I have questions in the future. You've earned five star rating for your patience and expertise. Thank you.