Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

P0068 code, Yes, 2005 grand cherokee 4.7, Yes. Changed map

Customer Question
P0068 code JA: Just to clarify...
P0068 code
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2005 grand cherokee 4.7
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Changed map sensor, changed plugs, checked for fuel in fuel rails, cleaned throttle plate
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ran perfectly fine then out of nowhere this happened. Rough idle, hesitant to start, shuts off and over heats
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
9/4/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 year ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

P0068-MANIFOLD PRESSURE/THROTTLE POSITION CORRELATION

POSSIBLE CAUSES -

Vacuum leak - Resistance in the (F856) '

5-volt supply circuit - (F856)

5-volt supply circuit shorted to ground - Resistance in the (K1) map signal circuit -

(K1) Map signal circuit shorted to ground - Resistance in the (F855)

5-volt supply circuit - (F855)

5-volt supply circuit shorted to ground - Resistance in the (K22) TP sensor No.1 signal circuit -

(K22) TP Sensor No.1 Signal Circuit Shorted To Ground - Resistance in the (K900) sensor ground circuit -

Map sensor -

Throttle position sensor -

PCM

As you can see, there are quite a few possible causes. To test to determine the cause, a scan tool with testing and live data function capabilities is needed, as well as a voltmeter.

If you have these, let me know and I can upload the testing directions

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a scan tool and meter...I have replaced the map sensor today and cleaned throttle plate and tired to find a vacuum leak but didn't see one. Replaced air filter and plugs

HI,

Ok, I have attached the testing directions which include pinouts and wiring schematic.

Not sure how you tested for vacuum leaks, but if you dont have a smoke machine, then the best way is with a can of carb cleaner. with engine idling, spray each vacuum hose, air intake tube, throttle body, pcv valve hose and base of intake one at a time and if idle change when one is sprayed, replace the culprit

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have now changed the map sensor, plugs, throttle position sensor. I can't find a vacuum leak with carb cleaner. Still will hesitate and shut itself off. Short term fuel trim is from -11 to sometimes -30%.

Did the MAP and TP sensor wiring check as good?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looked pretty good. I looked for any open wires

HI,

Ok, you will need to test them as the testing directions provide for. If you are 100% positive that there are no vacuum leaks and wiring is good, then that means the pcm is faulty.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Finally took it to the shop they think blown head gasket...no vacuum leaks everything testing good...running hot and white smoke now when you crank it

HI,

Ok. would not have suspected that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Me either!! Especially when I kept throwing money Into parts

HI,

Well, if you decide you want to tackle this job, I can help you with that, but it is a pretty big job

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager