How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lou P. Your Own Question
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Category: Jeep
Satisfied Customers: 4605
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
Type Your Jeep Question Here...
Lou P. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've lost my keys to 94 jeep Cherokee limited and was

Customer Question

I've lost my keys to 94 jeep Cherokee limited and was wondering if it would be best to replace the cylinder for ignition or have keys made? My transmission seems like it needs tightening and overflow cap was replaced several times (4+) Does that sound like something maybe cracked? What should labor/cost for replacement of cylinder run? I'm not a mechanic or anything.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

the best thing for the cylinder is to have it replaced and new keys provided. you can get this part at any local parts store, that may be best, ***** ***** always have a lock smith remove the cylinder and try and disassemble it to see what the code of the key was but that may cost more. also if you ordered a replacement key from the dealer it may or may not work depending on if the cylinder was replaced in the past. so the options i think would be

  1. order a replacement key from the dealer if its 10$ or so to see if it will save you time and money, while you are there get a quote for replacing the cylinder, should not be much because those are very easy to do.
  2. if the key does not work call a lock smith and compare quotes for replacing lock or them to make a key based on the cylinder code.

as for the transmission over flow, there is no such thing, maybe you mean antifreeze? is there a way you can upload a picture of the cap you are referring to?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 11 months ago.

Hello Janice, did you get the key issue resolved or still need help?