Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 89 jeep cHEROkee. It starts and runs fine some days

Customer Question
other times it will read...
I have a 89 jeep cHEROkee. It starts and runs fine some days other times it will read no voltage on dash and of course not turn over.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/2/2016
Jeep Mechanic: tim's auto repair, Mechanic replied 1 year ago
tim's auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

when it doesnt turn over,what do you do to get it started?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I can hook jumper cables to it and it will fire right up.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already bought a new battery thinking for sure that was the case originally. That turned out not to be the case.

hi

sorry i missed you.

ok,sense you have replaced the battery ,the next step is to do a load test on the battery and charging system.a load test will determine if the alternator is bad or if you may have a dead cell in the new battery.

from the way you explain the problem,i think you may need a new alternator.

auto zone and most auto parts stores will do the load testing for free.

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The altenator has also been load tested. It was putting out 13.4

how many volts did it put out under a load?

and how many volts does it have not under load?

it should be over 14v without a load

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It reads well over 14v at idle without any accessories on
Jeep Mechanic: Clayso, Master Automobile Technician replied 1 year ago
Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician

Hi There,
This is Clay, I'm a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description sounds like an intermittent failure at the ignition switch. Check the connector on the ignition switch for a melted connector. The ignition switch is located down on the lower left side of the steering column. When the vehicle won't crank, verify with a test light the gauge fuse has battery voltage with the key ON. At the ignition switch, the 14 gauge green wire is the is the start signal from the switch to the starter relay during cranking. With a test light clipped to ground check and see if the green wire has battery voltage with the key in the crank position when the vehicle won't crank. I've seen many connector problems with the ignition switch melted at the green wire. Let me know what you find at the switch.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.
Thanks

Clayso
Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician