Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner
13677702

Jeep p1821

Customer Question

jeep p1821
Category: Jeep
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Are you sure of that code? I am not showing it as a legitimate code for a jeep.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes using centech scantool. says vehicle specific code and chrysler says engine too cold too long and if i pick gm it says throttle pedel sensor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if that tool is garbage can i pull codes manually?

Ok. I'm going to open this up to the other experts then. I have absolutely nothing on this code. One of the other's may.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, new expert here, I know previous expert asked but are you sure its not P1281 ???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

shit yes sorry

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Unsure why new radiator but 99% the code P1281 fault code like the one that caused this CEL (Check Engine Light) to come on; means that the thermostat is either stuck open, or that it has simply fallen apart. In either case it is no longer capable of closing and it cannot stop the flow of anti-freeze throughout the cooling system. This keeps the engine from reaching the normal temperature range within the expected time-frame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just put new one in 5 months ago so i didnt take it apart yet. took radiator cap off to check while warming up to see if the level drops. seemed like it took a long time to open the thermostat and the top hose gets really hot and the bottom hose is alot cooler.

if thermostat was stuck open and i took cap off and and its full then as soon as i start it the water level should drop, correct? and ill see it circulate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i took thermostat out and it is good. boiled it works perfect.

so what is next?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Change it to be safe, water test is ok but, now I can send the diagnostic chart for the code, Also, I had asked and you did not tell me why you changed the radiator and what else you may have done

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

radiator was leaking.i changed the thermostat.

rebuilt engine 8 mo ago.

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well. that is new information but, I still say change the thermostat, The code means engine is taking a little too long to warm up. Water test on a T stat is not a good test,This does NOT test how long is needed for the stat to open etc. I have attached a file showing the code information, Direct from Jeep. It says T stat. this is most common outside of a problem with the PCM. here is the attachment