Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Jeep Certified
49095596

I am trying to replace my 2011 jeep compass tailight, I'm

Customer Question

hi there i am trying to replace my 2011 jeep compass tailight
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: I'm mainly just trying to disconnect the main connector between the assembly and the car
JA: Are you fixing your Compass yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i pulled out the red tab and i am currently trying to pull it apart with no luck
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 12 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thank you

Here is a pic of the connector shown in blue.

I marked the pic showing what you need to do to disconnect it. Slide the red tap to the position shown OR remove the red tab completely. Press the tab shown while pulling and wiggling the connector until it slides free...

Here is the pic --->> Click Here to view <<---

Let me know if this helps you...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Here is the picture of the wiring i am trying to remove the bulbs from the car
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i am not sure which part i am disconnecting, the top gray plug?, or the bottom with the connected tail bulbs
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

It appears that you connector is already broken.

Remove the red tab all the way then use a pocket screwdriver to lift up the locking tab from the bulb side of the connector.

If not sure what I'm referring to, I'll need some time to mark up your pic to show what must be done to disconnect it.

Unfortunately, I need to log off for a couple hours. I'll respond asap when I get back online..

Sorry for the delay...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
If you don't mind marking up the picture when you get online thank you

Hello, Sorry for the delay, here is your pic marked up, hopefully this explains it good enough so you can get the connector disconnected...

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Expert:  Robert R replied 11 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.