Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a gremlin issue I hope you can help me with. I have a

Customer Question

I have a gremlin issue I hope you can help me with. I have a 1998 Cherokee 4.0 4wd. I am getting no spark. I have changed ckps, cps, tps, cap and rotor. I have a spark all the way to the distributor cap, used a test light, but no spark to the plugs.Help????
Category: Jeep
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Has the distributor been removed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it has not. I also check the coil with meter and made sure the rotor was spinning.

Alright. has it been running poorly recently before this happened?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it ran great!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Stopped running all of a sudden

Ok. Since your getting spark from the coil to the distributor cap, but not from the cap to the plugs, then I would have to suspect that the timing is off, considering you have replaced the cap and rotor. The gear on the bottom of the distributor could either be worn to the point that the computer can no longer compensate, or could have spun if the roll pin wasn't installed, which I have seen before.

when you turn the engine over, does it crank like normal? or does it sound strange?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cranks normal. No backfire or anything that sounds off. Even if timing was off I would still be getting spark correct?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if the drive gear was worn would the rotor stop spinning?

actually, you have verified that the rotor is in fact turning, so dis regard the last question. was getting at possible broken timing chain. You are Correct, If timing was off you would would get spark, but would not start. You have verified that the wire from the coil to the cap is not the issue, correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yea I am put the test light on it and did an ohm test

Ok. I would inspect the distributor. if the coil does not pulse when the rotor and the terminal on the cap are all in line, you will not get spark.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
would that be a coil or dist issue

I would suspect a distributor issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do you test/check distributor for issues?

I would do a visual inspection of the gear at the bottom and make sure that it's not worn and hasn't spun. Usually when it wears, it runs poorly for a short time before getting to the point where it dies, but that doesn't have to be the case every time. It's the first thing I would inspect.

try removing the cap and taking the rotor and turning it back and forth and see if it seems to move excessively

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Very little play

ok, and it seems tight? it won't continue to turn by hand if you try?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No

Ok. I am going to open this up to the others. If your getting spark from the coil to the cap, and everything with the distributor, cap and rotor all checks out fine, I would think you should get spark to the plugs. I must be missing something. Sit tight a few minutes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
These may be unrelated since I am unplugging and plugging stuff back in but I have codes 351, 700 and 1694
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Those could just be happening since I am cranking it with things unplugged and the test light in olace
Expert:  Doctor D replied 11 months ago.

Hi!

Ok, Something is not being communicated right here. We need to start from scratch as miscommunicated test results will lead us the wrong path. Engine cranks with a no start, we can agree to that. Now how did we come to the conclusion that there is no spark? How did we test that and where? and with what means of testing?

* Sorry to be repetitive, but we have to get accurate test results to help. There are many ways to test some things, some are give better results then others. I need to understand your way of testing and understand those results with you... :) ~ I may suggest a better way to test possibly to help....

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have used a test light. Spark(twat light comes on) from both sides of cool but nothing between plug wire and plug. Did ohm test on all wires.

While that may be a viable way to test, I havent seen it in the professional practice in my 25 yr tenure. We do use it(test light) "sometimes" to short spark as in to test misfires but never seen it to gauge high voltage.

I would like you to do arch testing. You can buy a super cheap on at the parts store for less then $5. You can use a screw driver but it can lead to false negative results. Your car operates on lower KV then newer cars so we need a gap of about .035 to accurately test for spark. Check and get results at the coil wire to the distributor( with coil wire unplugged from dist) And if positive, then check results at each spark plug wire end and advise results.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will do
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am at Oriellys now I have the Lisle 50850(please look it up) is this what I need?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is photo
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok strong arc when connected to end of coil wire, I tried to send you video but too large, and nothing from plug wires.

Have you done a 2 person operation in verifying Visually that the rotor does indeed spin while cranking? ~ or I guess if you have no help, you could set your phone to record movie and crank for a good 10 sec and watch rotor speed?