Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1996 jeep Cherokee instrument cluster, gas guage speedo and

Customer Question

1996 jeep Cherokee instrument cluster, gas guage speedo and tach bouncing. gas guage over full all the way to the rightr
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: all operations ok
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Are you saying that the gauges are reading incorrectly but the engine starts and runs ok?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
car runs ok , other gauges are ok, just gas guage, speedo and tach bouncing vin 1J4FJ78S5TL233665
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Have you checked all fuses?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
checked fuse for instrument cluster, ok. checked power center fuses
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Ok, good. Got it. This condition is most likley caused by a bad instrument cluster. This is very common. I would recommend to replace the cluster as this will likley fix the gauges not working.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Let me know!