Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

How do I fix incorrect gear 4, gear 1, and gear 3 ratios [or

Customer Question
Gear Ratio Errors in 1st...
How do I fix incorrect gear 4, gear 1, and gear 3 ratios [or Gear Ratio Errors in 1st, 3rd & 4th] 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD, 4.7 L , 45RFE Transmission 192,832 miles. Thus far, I have been reducing ODB II diagnostic codes to pare it down to the codes for the above; P0731, P0733, and P0734.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am thinking I must have burned bands which are not allowing it to properly shift gears. I have first, second and when in Drive on startup I start in first, shift to second and depending on acceleration, it will "slip out" at 2,000 to 3,500 rpms
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have issues with reverse.I don't have issues with fluid (Castrol ATF +4) is clean.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no leaks anywhere, including the front hoses to the radiator cooler lines to the tranny.
8/14/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

If the trans is slipping it could cause these codes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not slipping. It is strong and solid in rpms when driving in first and second. Just willl not stay in Drive. Originally OD was an issue, would not go into OD.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We can talk on phone later.

Is this the original torque converter and transmission for the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Data: in Second at 3250, the speed is constant at 45 MPH. Yes, this is the original when I purchased the vehicle for my son years ago when he was in high school, he has graduated from college and been working for at least two years since.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I recognize you are an ASE Certified Technician, but have you done many transmissions?
I am an Electrical Engineer, but my father was a master mechanic, so I grew up working on engines. Additionally, I spent 6+ years working at EG&G automotive research in San antonio, TX (a testing laboratory for Engines, Transmissions, and Cars. I built a metrology lab for the Technicians for highly accurate data collection on wear and tear. So yes once you have it diagnosed with a solution, I will be happy to discuss tha solution over the phone.

I am a master tech and have worked for a trans rebuild shop. I am not going to help with this any farther I am going to opt out and another expert will help you shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Initial codes were P0715, P07312,P1732, P1734, P1787. Current codes are P0731, 733 & 734 after Solenoid Pack, Input & Output Speed Sensors, Pressure Sensor, Cooler Filter, & Bottom Pan Filter were replaced.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Prior to Solenoid Pack I also had a P1781 code
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the trans is going into neutral or slipping at the 2-3 shift point. P0733 is a gear ratio error in third gear, P0734 for fourth gear. If you're feeling it slip or freewheel at a shift point you either have clutch or geartrain damage. Clutch failure would often happen gradually but on the RFE trans clutch failure often happens in seconds.

Did the fluid smell burnt at any point?
Was there clutch debris on top the valve body?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician