sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dealer replaced coolant reservoir when I brought it in with

Customer Question

Dealer replaced coolant reservoir when I brought it in with the complaint of overheating, they said it was leaking all else is good. I have the 3.6L motor and worried about a head issue. the gauge read as high as 3/4 (never got into the red) on board system translated that to 240 degrees. I got the vehicle back and it still runs up to 231( a little over the half way mark) dealer claims the normal temp operating range is 220 - 235. I find that hard to believe so I'm looking for your thoughts. 190-220 maybe.
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: Hoses are original in good condition and I flush (without chemicals) every other year.
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I turned wrenches for a living starting back in 1977 so I like to take care of my stuff. I'm a little old school and may need someone to educate me, I know operating temps are higher due to emissions but think 230 is high.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The extended warranty issues with the 3.6L head problems on the left bank.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  david craig replied 1 year ago.

Hi Im David. What part of the country are you in? I ask that just to know the climate. Normal operating temps are mid gauge. in hot weather its normal to be just a tad over. in cooler temps its ok to be a tad under.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was looking for specific operating range figures. Do you know what they are? I have had this vehicle since new and even in hot weather it did not go past mid point on the gauge. Since it suddenly ran hotter than I am used to I switched over to the on board info center which displayed the actual temperature causing me to want to know what the normal operating range is. The factory theromotat opens at what temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Southern California close to the coast.

allow me to look that information up. thank you

what model is your jeep please?

My apologies, I've been a mechanic for a long time and specialize in heating and cooling, but I think this information is for Chrysler to be "politically correct"

This is the direct from chrysler's site. The is no dead on exact number. Just a range that it should run in. The outside temp has no effect on the coolant temp once warmed up. The thermostat regulates coolant temp regardless if it is -20 out or 120 out. The coolant temp sensor measures the temp off the coolant in the engine not the radiator.

A pellet-type thermostat controls the operating temperature of the engine by
controlling the amount of coolant flow to the radiator. On all engines the
thermostat is closed below 195°F (90°C). Above this temperature, coolant is
allowed to flow to the radiator. This provides quick engine warm up and overall
temperature control.

195-215 max. Every now and then it may go slightly above 215 but it should never stay there. you might want to compare the temperature on your readout to the temperature on a scan tool that reads live data.

any update? progress? confirmation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to pay an additional $26 for the phone call. I will research this myself, thank you.

i didnt offer a phone call

I think the site automatically does that, believe me i get the same response all the time. i will be glad to keep supporting you with this issue though.

also the water pump could be wearing out and no supplying the volume it once did.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't seem to be getting anywhere or does it even seem like your aware of the head issue with the 3.6L motor. I searched the web forums and got some leads there as there has been an issue with these motors overheating due to debris accumulation in the port where the thermostat is mounted typically on engines in excess of 75K, mine is 82K.

I am aware of the head issues, please dont try to undermine me. I have worked on many 3.6 engines and the main problem with them is oil pressure related. unless you you are blowing white smoke, engine misfiring, oil mixing with coolant and a failed compression test along with a failed combustion gas test, it is not the heads.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies if I offended, it was not my intent. Thanks for trying.

Im only trying to help. and if you want to have a compression test done, plus a combustion gas test done to confirm the condition of the heads or head gaskets, by all means do it. Im not perfect in my assessments 100% of the time. I only use my experience

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand and again, I'm not trying to offend or undermine you as I respect your time in answer these to the best based on the info you get. I got a notice from Dodge that states several issues with the head in addition to what you mentioned there is an issue with the coolant passage in the head being too small thus creating some cooling issues as well as exhaust valve issues causing them to extend the warranty to 150K on the heads only. That is why I've been asking all these questions as I don't always trust the dealer. Having been a heavy line mechanic myself for Chevrolet I know what is done when potential warranty work comes through the door. A smart mechanic takes the job and work combos to flag his time. I've older and have been out of the business for many years so maybe I'm off base. Just trying to do as much research without digging into the repair myself and voiding further coverage. I hope you understand. Thanks for the time and hopeful understanding.

by all means i understand. every mechanic doesnt have the same experiences on all vehicles. As far as the head issues with the vehicle is concerned I firmly agree that they are more of a problem than used to be, and I would take full advantage and heed chryslers bulletins also. I hevent seen any head issues with this vehicle. I get call all the time about it and schedule the customer in to perform the aforementioned tests. so far no head problem for me....

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There were quite a few head issues with poor coolant flow causing overheating on the early engines such as yours. I've replaced quite a few heads for this, the temperatures you're seeing are definitely too high.

The extended warranty on the left cylinder head mentioned previously is for valve leakage and misfire fault codes but not for overheating issues.

What model is the vehicle?