Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Fuel pump stays on and its blowing a fuse inthe fuse panel

Customer Question
underthehood JA: Have you checked the...
Fuel pump stays on and its blowing a fuse inthe fuse panel underthehood
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 96 grand Cherokee
JA: What year is your Grand Cherokee?
Customer: 96
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes ive watched some videos on you tube about the pcm and openedit up and under the gel it looked burnt
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yeah it started with it dying out we thought it was the battery I pulled the pos wire off its shut off so then we thought it was the alternator
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
8/7/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1j4fx58s4tc269611

Thank you for that information. Which fuse blows? Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't checked any codes I believe it is the 20 amp fuse for the auto shut down relay or the pcm
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pcm was replaced in 2007

Does the throttle position sensor have a reference voltage going to it with the key on? If so, how much?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll call tomorrow when I have better info for you

I work all day tomorrow. We could talk on the phone tonight so you know what to check when doing the testing..

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman