Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.
14892859

I would like to up grade engines on a 2004 jeep grand

Customer Question

I would like to up grade engines on a 2004 jeep grand cherokee, go from a 4L 6cyl to a 4.7 L V8. Is it a doable project?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The short answer here is 'yes", BUT....

You are going to need to spend a lot of money doing this. In addition to the replacement engine, at the very least, you are going to need a 4.7 computer, the entire dashboard wire harness, the entire engine room harness, a new air cleaner assembly, an entire new exhaust system, different vacuum switching valves for the evaporative system, motor mounts, a transmission and transfer case, and possibly driveshafts. Yes, it can be done, but you are looking at a ton of money to make this happen. I would consider upgrading the 4.0 if you want more power. There are lots of modifications that will turn the 4.0 into a much more powerful engine...and you do not have to replace all of the stuff listed above.