Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

My son has a 1993 yj with a 2.5L engine. The engine has just

Customer Question

My son has a 1993 yj with a 2.5L engine. The engine has just been replaced and now when the engine warms after 15 -20 minutes of driving it starts misfiring and losing power. The first time this happened it was while driving in the rain, now it does it any time it is driven. It is spending more time at the mechanics shop than at home. They have replaced the wires, coil, and it is still happening. He did not have this problem prior to the engine replacement any help will be appreciated thanks
Gene FormyDuval***@******.***
Category: Jeep
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

was it replaced with a new or used engine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was replaced with a rebuilt engine with a 3 year warranty. Most of the items were transferred from his old engine altenator, power steering pump etc. His original problem with the old engine was loss of compression and oil blow by
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

and im assuming they have checked the compression on the new engine sounds like the distributor timing may be off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the compression on the replacement engine is fine.would the timing being off only affect it after the vehicle was driven for 15 - 20 minutes because it seems to idle fine it starts at roughly 50 to 55 mph after the time frame and then lessens as he slows back to a crawl. By the time he got back to the shop the idle was. Smooth
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

ok then no it wouldnt be the timing i would have them check the egr valve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was unaware that the 1993 2.5L in a YJ had an EGR Valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked on line and cannot find an EGR Valve for that model
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Did you still need help?