Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

Key fob didn't work. Manually unlocked which set off alarm.

Customer Question

Key fob didn't work. Manually unlocked which set off alarm. Changed battery in fob, still won't work
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Just bought the vehicle. I have in other vehicles, yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2005 grand Cherokee laredo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't. I just got done work. Will replace battery tomorrow, go from there
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not sure. Just bought it 1 month ago. Airbag light came on 2 days ago. Wondering if it's electrical
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

To disarm the alarm you will either need to unlock it with the remote or starter it up with a valid key. Door lock cylinders no longer have doordisarm circuits. The security alarm can only be disarmed with a programmed key registered to thevehicle. Once the alarm has been triggered, and valid unlock lock request is required by remote or by inserting a programmed key into the ignition and turning it to the run position. Changes to the door
lock disarm functions improved the vehicles security allowing only the vehicles electronic systems to
disarm with a valid programmed key.

If it will not start the vehicle you will first need to call a mobile locksmith to come cut and program a new key. If that doesn't work it's likely a bad SKIM module which controls the security system..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I tried to start it, but alarm kept going. Car just stalls. I put a new battery in key fob, still doesn't work. Can I disconnect battery ? Will it reset ?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Do you see a security light on in the dash? If yes then a battery disconnect will not help as you need a valid programmed key to disarm the alarm. There is no way to bypass the security system, if there was then it would be easy some someone to steal your vehicle. To save you a tow bill I would get a mobile locksmith to cut and program you a new key and hopefully a new key will get you going but in the case that it doesn't then you will need a scantool to see what codes are in the SKIM module..

Have a great day,

Brad