Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

My sons 92, 4.0 Cherokee starts up like always, then shuts

Customer Question

My sons 92 , 4.0 Cherokee starts up like always, then shuts off after about 10 seconds.
any thoughts?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Does the engine always start right back up after it stalls out? Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Being a 92' there is no port for my OBD scanner, any thoughts?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Sure there is. It is located under the hood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told by our smog tech that no such port existed for that model in 92'? I've never noticed anything that resembles it either, and I've spent alot of time in there. Where should I expect to see the port.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

It is not for smog. The ODB2 connector is on vehicles on 1996 or newer. It is sctrictly for emissions. Anything pre 1996 may have a connector on it to check for codes.. but it is not used for emissions.

If memory servs me correct, it should be on the firewall either on the left or the right side of the engine compartment. I was just curious if you checked for codes. I take it this was not done. NO worries. We can move on to other things.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

So does the engine always start right back up after it stalls out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
39; , the engine will start every time. I've gone as far as inspecting the throttle body and intake gaskets for leaks as well. I've also inspected the fuel return lines for leaks, the fuel pump holds its prime after initially turning the key. I will try the scanner port when I get home from work.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

OK