Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Electronic throttle control is flashing on my 3.0 Diesel.is

Customer Question

Electronic throttle control is flashing on my 3.0 Diesel.is it just the sensor or throttle body.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: light came on 40mph tops looked at book . book said to cycle the key. turn motor off and restart . light came back on flashing but was able to get home at 65-70 mph ..
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2007 grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel turbo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet ,,pretty sure its the sensor ,, after turning off and on it ran great to get home lots of power .. I can fixit myself just need to find the correct sensor .
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: will it leave me on the road if I have to bring to a dealer
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, the vast majority of the time, this is due to a faulty APP(accelerator pedal position) sensor, which is integrated into the gas pedal assembly. While less often, sometimes it will be a faulty EGR air flow, which on a diesel engine is essentially its throttle body.

Before replacing it either one, you need to have the computer scanned for fault codes which will tell you which of the two is faulty. Unless you live in California, you can run it by any major parts store and they will scan it for free and tell you which is at fault

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WILL it leave me on the road
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

It is very possible that it will at some point. Right now it is suffering from intermittent failure of one of the two components, but at some point when the component fails completely, it will leave you stranded. Unfortunately there is no way to tell you how long before this happens. It could happen in the next couple of days or not for several weeks.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?