Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Blowing exterior (under Hood) 20 amp fuse that feeds the

Customer Question

Blowing exterior (under Hood) 20 amp fuse that feeds the Multi function switch. prior to that I was constantly blowing the interior fuse, 20 amp , for the brake lights. I have replaced the brake light switch and multipurpose switch. Brake lights , headlights, back up lights all work. only turn signals and hazards do not work. Replace multi function switch fuse and hear relay buzz and then fuse blows. Could bad connector or wires at the brake light switch cause this short and fuse blowing?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2005 TJ Unlimiyted
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes replaced brake switch and multi function switch
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Previously brake lights were not working, constantly blew the 20 amp brake light fuse. This stopped when brake light switch was rep[laced and trailer light wiring was removed
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When is a good time to discuss. I have been able to correct fuse issue with Multi function switch 20 amp fuse blowing. found short in wiring. Now have issue with Hazards not working, relay chatters but does not pull in and flash. Also,rear right turn signal does not work correctly. when right turn is activated, both tail lights flash as if hazards are on. Front turn signals operate properly.

This is the wire diagram I will be using.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/jeeplight.pdf

As long as the multifunction switch is getting both powers and the ground then the hazard light issue should be a faulty flasher built into the switch, meaning a new switch is needed.

Unplug both rear lamps. Turn the key on and the right turn. In the rear the only wire which should be pulsing power is the right brown/red wire. If you get that result then plug that lamp back in and check the right white/yellow wire if it is pulsing then you have a faulty connector, bulb socket, or shorted filament inside the bulb. Let me know these test results if you get something different.

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris