Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 1987 wrangler 2.5 engine, when I start it it smokes

Customer Question
and misses, I have new...
I have a 1987 wrangler 2.5 engine, when I start it it smokes and misses, I have new plugs and wires installed, can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/21/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Hi there,

Does it matter if it's been sitting for an extended period of time or not?

What color is the smoke?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has been sitting for about 2 months but i have started it several times since and still the same problem, seems to be loading up.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the smoke is blue

Ok

Blue smoke does indicate an oil issue. This could be the oil rings or the valve stem seals. On rare occasions I have seen the actual valve get a hole in it and cause some pretty massive blue smoke.

I think what I would do here is a compression test, followed by a leak down test. The compression test will tell you if there is anything MAJOR going on with the cylinders. The leak down test will check for smaller issues like a problem with the oil rings. If it's been sitting a while, the oil rings could be locked up on the pistons and not scraping the cylinders, this would allow the oil to go past the rings, burning it and fowling the plugs causing the rough running.

I would do these tests to try and make sure the inside of the engine is in good working order.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In the past before I let it sit, the jeep would run good but if i traveled a short distance it would not start again until I let it set for a few hours.

This type of issue seems more like it would be a distributor or ignition coil issue then some type of ring issue. I have seen the coils get hot and stop generating spark. Then after it cools off the wiring in the coil sort of re connects and it will work again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I go a longer distance the jeep would start again, it is just the short distances that it would not start.

Ok

Is the question about smoking and a rough idle or about the jeep not starting after short trips?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician