Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Jeep won't start after parked few days? Any Idea what it

Customer Question
Hi Pearl.. jeep won't start...
Hi Pearl.. jeep won't start after parked for a few days? Any Idea what it could be
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No. it does not. lights and radio work though . Also, I can shift from drive to park
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: wrangler 2012
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just looking online - does the key trick help
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Car is only 4 yrs old with low miles - about 30k
...
The (mil) light is on
How and what can I do and check myself to figure out what is wrong?
7/13/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 1 year ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you out. When you say that it wont start after sitting a few days, do you mean that the when you turn the key to the start position it just cranks cranks c4anks cranks cranks but not fires up? Or does nothing hapen like the battery is dead?

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it cranks with minor noises - don't think battery is dead - lights, nav and radio work
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Chris, do you think its best too try the key trick to get codes?

You can try the key trick and see if it will display codes. If so, let me know what they are. Another thing that you can do is get the vehicle to an auto parts store. They will connect their scan tool and check the codes for you. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, Going to try that now and will let you know.I can't get the car anywhere though as it won't start. I may have to go to an auto store myself and pick one up - Do they sell those scanners? If so, what should they cost
You can get an inexpensive one for about $100.00 or less.
I will keep an eye out for your reply.Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply. while trying the key thing the nav screen went on and saidSecurity Screen
enter security code:Seral Number
TOOBE
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then I tried the key trick and all I got was _done_

Ok, then no codes at least by using that key method. See if you can get a scan tool.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is no codes a good thing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also the oil change light came on but I don't need one - just had one done not to long ago

No codes is not necessarily a good thing. No codes could be because the PCM is dead. Just FYI.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The engine computer dead? I guess.. is there a way I can find that out?Do you think trying to disconnect the battery is a good idea? The alarm doesn't chirp and think thats part of the problem - maybe the key isn't being read??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hey chris before I buy a scanner ...do you think its going to solve the problem of telling me whats wrong?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just want to add that my AC, headlights and everything else the battery powers goes on
Well the reason that I want you to use a scan tool is so we can see if the PCM can communicate or talk to the scan tool. If it does, then we can look at some sensor data and hopefully get a clue as to what is going on. If the PCM can not communicate with the scan tool, and no fuses are blown, then we can assume that the PCM has failed and that is why it died. Make sense?Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman