Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2006 Jeep Liberty no crank, no start. Tried starting in

Customer Question

2006 Jeep Liberty no crank, no start. Tried starting in neutral, tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, battery voltage at 12.5, voltage does not drop in ignition start, tried jumping starter relay, starter cranks fine but no start. Don't think it's the ignition switch, the relays click under the hood. Is this the neutral safety switch or the wireless control module?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. This may be a failed PCM. Tell me when you turn on the ignition switch to the run position, can you hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds and then turn off?Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't hear the fuel pump but the fuel pump relay does switch. (So does the starter relay)I replaced the fuel pump a few months ago. It would still crank when it was bad back then, just no start. Could fuel pump cause no crank?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

No. A failed fuel pump will not cause a no crank. This may be a failed PCM (engine computer). Do you have access to a scan tool?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Bluetooth obd reader, reads trouble codes and real-time pids. Does that work? Or do you mean one of the dealer ones that connects to a laptop?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

That will work just fine. (I have one of those also!) Connect it and see if it will display the pids.

Let me know,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked earlier today to see what the voltage was and it seemed to be reading the data fine, saw voltage drop to ~11 when opening windows.Didn't try to read codes though, left the car where it died on me so I'll have to check those tomorrow. I was gonna disconnect the battery for a half hour. Is that supposed to reset the pcm?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sounds good. I will look for your reply tomorrow. Disconnecting the battery will clear any trouble codes (if the PCM is "ok". ), but if the PCM is "dead" then disconnecting the battery will probably do nothing. However the PCM may have died due to temperature. Letting it cool down sometimes gets it going again until it gets hot.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried out the scan tool, no codes. The tool also seemed to have properly read throttle position, intake pressure, coolant tempriture, voltage, etc.I tried swapping the wiper relays for the starter and fuel pump, also switched the blower with the asd relay, didn't change anything.Measurig voltage across the ignition, starter and fuel pump fuse terminals showed 12v.Also tried turning on in different shifter positions, and the 4x4 neutral.Only weird thing I saw was the EATX relay felt hot.Will have to get it towed tomorrow, now just trying to decide if it should be to my house or the mechanic
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok. If the scan tool was displaying sensor data, then that is good. Tells me the PCM is at least being powered up. Did the Jeep just stop running one day while you were driving or did it just not start?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran without problems, just didnt start after I got out of work the other day
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Send me the Jeep's VIN number. I want to look something up.

Chris