Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a Jeep grand Cherokee 2000 going down the road it

Customer Question
will shut off pole over...
I have a Jeep grand Cherokee 2000 going down the road it will shut off pole over sometimes will start right up other times will not have to wait if the fuel gauge and amp meter comes up it will start if not it will not start Intel fuel gauge and amp meter shows a
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The engine turns over the battery is less than six months old
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and I have unplug some terminals plug them back and check different switches
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I replaced the grounding strap from the body to the frame cleaned all my battery terminals it's just when it dies it will not it will turn over but will not start and tell the fuel gauge and the amp meter shows a reading
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
7/10/2016
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine dies and the fuel gauge and voltmeter go down at that time, and there are no other electrical issues or warning lights, then the powertrain control odule is going down. The PCM is the module that controls all engine functions.

It will take some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to determine exactly what is going on. The problem may be an internal failure in the PCM, a loss of power or ground to it, a short to ground on a reference voltage circuit or short to voltage on a sensor ground circuit. These could be wiring issues or internally shorted sensors.

If everything checks out at the time the problem is happening then the PCM will need to be replaced.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician