Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I replacIed the radio after it shorted out due to water

Customer Question

I replacIed the radio after it shorted out due to water leaking because of a plugged sunroof drain. My replacement is an OEM Chrysler/damier. It gave me a no bus code and caused all my gauges to flash on and off. The engine starts, but it dies after 20 second. I put the shorted out radio baci in and everything returned to normal. Can I do something to fix it? I'm not a mechanic, just a 70 yr old veteran.
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: the leak issue has been fixed.
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2009 jeep patriot.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: one suggestion on a web site told me to disconnect the negative battery terminal then the positive terminal and clamp them together for 3 minutes to reset the computer.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no, only that I do not get the no bus code with the shorted out radio, only when I install the OEM radio from Chrysler.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

where did the replacment radio come from?

if it was Used IT MUST be from the same make and model vehicle vehicle as the electrical architecture is VERY different between car lines on modern chrysler/dodge/jeeps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It came from Chrysler. It was new , still sealed. The make and model are identical. It just had to be plugged in.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

so if you bought it from a dealer then the radio was likely defective , radios of that year are ordered by VIN number to insure the correct radio is delivered, and just plug and play, this is proven by the "GO NO GO " method you did when you reinstalled the original radio, HOWEVER be aware MOST ALL radios are re-manufactured by chrysler NOT new the only way to get a NEW radio is if the vehicle is unsold