Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 96 and just started having issues with the

Customer Question
headlights. One morning I pulled...
I have a 96 and just started having issues with the headlights. One morning I pulled the headlight switch and the headlights did not turn on. I pulled the lever to switch to the high beams and those turned on and then I pulled the lever again and it switched to the low beams which were now working and worked fine for about a week. I started having the issue again, but this time I can only get my high beams on if I hold the lever back. When I release it, there are no lights again. Something else that I found is that both the high beams and low beams work fine after shutting off the ignition (during the 30-45 second delay when the headlights stay on).
I have checked all the fuses (driver side by the clutch pedal and under the hood on the passenger side), replaced the headlight switch, replaced the multi-function switch, and checked the harness connection under the air filter box. The harness connection was a little corroded, but didn't look that bad. I did clean it up before hooking it up again. Is there any recommendation on what I should check next?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
6/27/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Here is the wiring diagram for the headlights. One is w/DRL and one without/DRL.

I sent you both. Start with checking for voltage at the headlamp connector and the start working back on the diagram.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. My Cherokee does not have day time running lights or fog lights. I'm guessing I just ignore the fog light section of the diagram? Also when you say to start checking voltage at the headlamp connector, do you mean at the headlamps themselves? Is there a specific voltage that they should be at? I'm guessing when I get a low reading it means that there is an issue somewhere along that line. When I am checking the voltage, do I need to have the headlights turned on? And lastly, do you know where the relays should be located?Thanks for your help

Ignore the bottom diagram

Yes check at the connector at the bulb, you need 12 volts, also check that ground, the G100 there is a body ground near the head lamps, just follow the harness.

If you have 12 volts and they dont work, then bad ground, if no voltage, then we work backwards from the headlamp bulbs

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** go check this.

OK, sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if it shows much higher than 12v?

Unlikely to show a higher voltage.

If battery is fully charged it might be a little higher like 12.6. Which is normal.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I get between 9 and 10, is that too low?

what is your battery voltage? measure at the battery posts

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At the battery, it was measuring 11.88v. I disconnected the harness for the left headlight and measured each pin hole. The pin hole for the lo beam headlights measured less than 1. I tried tracing the wire back, but was having a hard time. Then, I re-measured the lo beam pin hole and it was reading around 9v. I didn't do anything to make it change. Why would this reading be inconsistent?

Check voltage at the multifunction switch, then check the head lamp switch. use the wiring diagram I sent you for wire colors.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I did check at the multifunction switch and it was low. I did not check the headlight switch yet.

Check the ground as well from the headlamp bulb connector.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't got a chance to check the ground, but did notice that one of the headlights is a halogen light. From what I've read, the wiring harness needs upgraded to use halogen lights. Could this be my problem?

No that is not the problem. they are all halogen. I would double check that both low beam bulbs work by hooking them straight up to that battery with some wire. You said the headlamp connectors were a little corroded, that could be causing the problem. Corrosion will reduce voltage because it is extra resistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know the bulbs are good. I can get them to come on when I shut the ignition off (30-45 second delay when lights stay on after shutting off the ignition).The harness under the air box was a little corroded. Is it best to clean the harness or replace it?

Replacing it would be the best. Unless you can repair with new wires. Try grabbing the harness and wiggling it to see if you can make the lights turn on and off. That would help narrow it down.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician