Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

My 1997 jeep grand cherookee temp is always at 210,is this

Customer Question

my 1997 jeep grand cherookee temp is always at 210,is this normal as on hot days its slugish taking off,it doesnt use any anti-freeze but should i be concerned about this,i just changed out the water pump with a life time one
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: no leaking,coolant is good for -25
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes im a inter net machanic,changed the water pump and thermostat
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: has 206 thousand hiway miles in excellant shape
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Where are you measuring this 210 degree temperature?

No engine stays the same temperature all the time... either your measuring device is wrong or this one is completely different than any I have ever seen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its the gauge on the dash,i just thought ,bad gauge,
Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.

Does it stay at 210 if you unhook the temperature sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont no where temp sensor is but on hot days 90-100 it goes right to 210 then when i stop and go to take off its very slugish and i thought it had to do with the overheating as dont do when temp is lower
Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.

You need to get a temperature gun and see what the actual temp is before you do major engine damage if you havent already.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do i ask for temp gun
Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.

To buy one? Ask for a non contact temperature gun. If they look at you like youre stupid tell them you want to talk to someone who knows what a wrench looks like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im more lost now than before i txt you ,the coolant is never low but its alway running hot dont make sence
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i need to take this to a shop
Expert:  Kavey replied 1 year ago.

It seems that may be the best route. If it actually is overheating you could be destroying your engine and you dont have the tools to find out.