Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

My Jeep Patriot 2009 is having some A/C issues, on either

Customer Question
Hi, I'm Stephanie, my Jeep...
Hi, I'm Stephanie, my Jeep Patriot 2009 is having some A/C issues, on either hot or cold the air only comes out of the defrost vent and always comes out at a medium temperature, never super hot or super cold.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: I have checked the coolant, it's about 3/4 full and I haven't noticed any leaking.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to fix this myself. So far I've only tried checking the cabin filter, which is brand new, and have read some people with similar issues fixing it by replacing the vacuum line but I don't know how to locate it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not sure if it's relevant but the temperature knob won't go past the first hot air setting, it can spin through all the cold air settings but seems blocked by something from going to the rest of the heat settings
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
6/21/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs to be checked is to install a set of pressure gauges and read the systems pressure. A full systems pressure with the compressor running should be right at 35 to 40 PSI on the low side and 200 to 225 PSI on the high side. Let start with this and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can I check the pressure? Where on the vehicle can I locate the system?

To check the system pressure you are going to need to connect a set of AC pressure gauges to the high and low side service ports and read the pressure with the AC on and the engine running.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where on the vehicle can I locate the high and low side service ports?

See there location in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Servic%20port%20Jun%2021.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not checked the pressure yet since I just bought the gauge for it but I was wondering if the problem could be related to the climate control head? I've read that that can cause air to not be able to be heated or cooled to its full potential?

If the control head is not controlling the blend door and or any of the air mix doors yes it can affect the AC performance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would I be able to check if that's the issue?

You would need to start first with making sure your system pressures are okay and then the next step would be to run a system scan to see if there are any fault codes setting and if so , those would need to be addressed from there.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician