Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Have a 1999 cherokee sport,4.0, the problem is when driving

Customer Question

have a 1999 cherokee sport,4.0, the problem is when driving it will start to miss real bad and shutter rpms go up and down, fills like the trans is going fall out.I replaced the cam sensor,throttle positioning sensor, plug wires, rotor and cap and it still does it off and on and check engine light goes on,the only thing we have come up with on the computer is cam sensor and it was replaced 3 times will run good for a while then state doing it again after about 100 to 150 miles give or take. can you help?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description I'd look real close at the fuel pressure and distributor sync. To check the distributor sync make sure the trailing edge of the metal part of the rotor is just past the #1 terminal in the cap when the crankshaft is at TDC. Fuel pressure should be right at 50 psi. If neither of these are a problem let me know what specific code(s) set for the cam sensor, what shape the Champion plugs are in and if you code reader/scanner will show O2 voltages.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

If fuel pressure or distributor sync solves the problem kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm following up on any progress with this repair. I hope the information I gave was helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Thanks.