Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Took my 97 Laredo to car wash, noticed after that all interior lights wouldn' shut off.

Customer Question
My husband noticed a dash...
Took my 97 Laredo to car wash, noticed after that all interior lights wouldn' shut off. My husband noticed a dash lever on the left side of the dash indicating the brightness of lights had been pushed all the way to the top. He pushed it to the bottom and the interior lights, dome, middle lights and rear lights went out so he thought the problem was solved until today 4 days later, I went out to start my car (the first time since the car wash incident) and found my battery completely dead. There has to be a magic switch that was moved during the car wash procedure that we don't know about, and if so where is it and if not what is your best guess for fixing the problem
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
6/13/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Honestly I don't think youn need that for this particular question.

I do however, need the engine size for us to continue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's an inline 6

Thank you for that information. So now it does not crank over at all correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4.0 inline 6

Right. I understand.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct the battery is completely deals. My husband will be home in a few hours to charge it but I want io know wher or how to turn off the interior lights so that the battery won't die again.

Are you sure that the dome light switch is not turned on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When we first noticed the problem we pushed the lights which had always turned them off in the past, when that didn't work my husband found that the switch on the left side of the dash that controls the brightness is the dash lights had been pushed to the brightest level. He pushed it to the bottom or the lowest level and the interior lights went off. We thought the problem was fixed but appearently they arn't because our 3 month old battery is completely drained. What ever the fix is I won't be able try it until we get it charged later this afternoon, but since I'm leaving town tomorrow morning I need a fix now.

Ok, thank you for that information. If the battery checks out good (be sure to get it load tested), and the problem continues (lights remain illuminated) with the engine off and key out of the ignition switch, the most common cause of this problem would be a bad Body Control Module (which is the computer that controls the functions of the body of the vehicle) or a bad door ajar switch... which is very common.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician