Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 2002 Jeep grand Cherokee ltd with ac problems

Customer Question
clutch will not engage have...
I have a 2002 Jeep grand Cherokee ltd with ac problems clutch will not engage have replaced the ac transducer it showed voltage in but not out replaced it showed the same problem only fault on vehicle is O2 sensor wouldn't imagine that has anything to do with the ac. Ac shows no faults swapped relays and no change any ideas??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2016
Jeep Mechanic: bill, jeep master tech replied 1 year ago
bill
bill, jeep master tech

is there any refrigerant in the system?

there were common leak points on these

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is full just recently replaced the h block and ran a leak test it has been charged for about 2 weeks and had yet to show any sign of losing any pressure
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a set of gauges and checked it again this morning and so sign of leakage pressure is stable

ok what type of scan tool do you have?

can it read full data stream and a/c request?

the engine computer receives requests from several modules to activate teh compressor clutch

have you tried jumping the compressor clutch to see if it actually will engage

did the a/c work BEFORE you worked on it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We ran it at the shop not 110 on the computer type though but we did happen to jump off the compressor so we do know that it's good out readings showed the transducer was out and we replaced it but no change so we were puzzled after that ac reads no codes off panel only code that was listed on computer was for the right front O2 sensor
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that will prevent the compressor from engaging. If the system is charged then a scan tool may be needed to diagnose the issue from this point.

How did you determine it needed a transducer if you were unable to monitor it's signal with a scan tool?

How many power feeds are present at the compressor clutch relay?

Does the overhead console show correct ambient temperature?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just using a voltage meter we found there was voltage coming in transducer but no signal coming out we replaced it twice and talked to some people at the jeep dealer they told us this system was very touchy and could be a list of things knowing everything runs back to a computer the transducer has 3 wires coming out of it one shows it's 5 volts the rest are basically dead the ac compressor has 2 wires and also shows it's 5 volts we replaced the transducer 2 times in luck that we purchased a dead unit but replacement shows no change

Do you have access to a scan tool to be able to look at data?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not at this very moment but I can later today

If you can obtain a scan tool the first thing that we'll need to do is go into the PCM and look at a/c pressure to see if it agrees with a gauge set.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok computer matches the gauges and is well above the needed 50 psi to engage the clutch

What is the actual pressure?

Can you actuate the clutch with the scan tool?

What does it show for evaporator and ambient temperature?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician