rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Own 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 week drive, 6 cylinder.

Customer Question

Own 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo,***** 6 cylinder. For the last month, while driving either moving or stop engine dyes it always stars back. My mechanic has not being able to find the problem since the car has never shown the problem while in the shop,and computer does not show it either. Wife drives it to work, can you suggest something. Thank you much. Worry Husband.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

There is an idle speed motor that may be dirty with carbon or just plain bad. Tell your mechanic to check that and also scan the computer for counts on the idle motor. Tell to also relearn the computer as well. See attachment.

Thanks, Ron