Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I just got a 2016 Jeep renegade 4/4 . I drove it through

Customer Question

I just got a 2016 Jeep renegade 4/4 . I drove it through about a foot of water and it died. Now the dealer is saying that the engine is locked up. The dealer is saying that I should claim it on my insurance. I don't understand why this would be a insurance claim with less then 400 miles on it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Did it die in the water?

How fast were you going?

When you try to start it, do you hear the engine try to crank but not able to spin, getting a dull thud from the flywheel and starter?

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did die in the water I was going about 10 MPR and it started slowing down then died. It has a keyless start and when I tried to turn it over all it would do was make a cleck sound and never tried to start

Thanks, ***** ***** why claim it on insurance. A warranty covers failures on the vehicle that are caused by things on the vehicle breaking from design or wear. The manufacturer is not responsible for damage caused by road conditions or what the vehicle was driven into or through. The driver is responsible for that. That is why they said claim it on your insurance, since its not a warranty claim.

Most likely you sucked water into the air filter housing and saturated the air filter then water got sucked into the engine. Since water can not compress, this causes the engine to lock up which can break or bend rods and pistons or damage the heads. Step one will be removing the plugs then by hand turning the engine over to see what comes out of the cylinders. Also check the oil to see if there is water in it. If it will crank by hand and water does not come out and there is no water in the oil then it MAY BE a warranty claim for a no crank issue like a starter issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have selected a rating at the top of your page view for my first answer to grade my assistance. All follow up responses are free and welcomed. Ask me about a phone call if you prefer that service.

Thanks Chris

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.