Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

2007 JEEP LIBERTY A/C NOT WORKING

Customer Question

2007 JEEP LIBERTY A/C NOT WORKING
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on...

Is it full or freon? WHen did this start? Do you have any codes in the HVAC system? What is your VIN number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1J4GL48K07W694676
my problem is every time I recover it and recharge it will work until I let it set for 2 hour then I try to start it , ( not working )
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Do you keep having to add freon? Did you add a/c dye to locate the leak?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no leak
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I recover it I got 1pound
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
when you recover the freon it has a full charge? The yellow sticker under the hood will tell you what the system charge should be. If it's full then does the compressor have 12v and ground when the a/c is on? What is your VIN so I can get a wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1J4GL48K07W694676
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any idea ?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Does the compressor have 12v and ground when it won't come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hold on I will check it right know
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

If it has 12v and ground then your clutch is bad and it will need to be replaced..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check it the connector has only ground but no voltage in it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is my second a/c compressor
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

If you don't have voltage then remove the a/c clutch relay and tell me if pins 30 and 86 have 12v, then see if pin 85 has a ground.. To test the compressor you can jump pins 30 and 87 which will send 12v directly to the compressor..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clutch engaged
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

What did you find?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
intermittent failure. keeps kicking on and off randomly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the relay is very hot as well.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Remove the a/c clutch relay and tell me if pins 30 and 86 have 12v, then see if pin 85 has a ground..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we already did that and we had 14,1v with engine running, and ground.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

The relay needs a ground on pin 85 from the PCM, it needs 12v on pin 86 and when it has these two it will connect pins 30 and 87. Pin 30 comes from fuse 21 and 87 goes to the compressor.. If it's cutting on and off you will need to see if your loosing the ground on pin 85 or the 12v on pin 86, once you know this then you will know what to test next. Test at the compressor to make sure it's loosing voltage then test the relay. You will need to find what your loosing in order to find the issue..