Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Cj5: I am the original owner of a 1973 cj5 jeep with 4 speed

Customer Question

I am the original owner of a 1973 cj5 jeep with 4 speed manual tranny and 258ci inline six engine. The jeep has not been driven since 1994 (22 years). Under the hood is new or rebuilt from the radiator to the clutch and has all new brake shoes, springs, wheel cylinders and drums. I have done all the work myself.
My Question is, as long as the jeep has been setting around not moving much, should I replace the bearings on the rear axle (and the front) while I am working on the vehicle ? I removed the rear diff filler plug and couldn't find any fluid on my finger but it did drain fluid when I removed the cover, it wasn't bone dry. I need help figuring out how to remove the axles to replace the bearings (and seals??)
Category: Jeep
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 1 year ago.
Hello Greg Im Chris and I can help you
technically if they havent moved fluid level wont make a difference.
I would drive before replacing. If noisy I would replace.
let me know what rear end you have in there d44?