Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Im not getting spark no power to coil or distributor JA: Sometimes

Customer Question
im not getting spark no...
im not getting spark no power to coil or distributor
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: that's pretty much it ive got no power to coil or distributor
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked crank sensor its good checked all fuses they are good fuel pump comes on with good pressure
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: no other than the tranny was just changed from a manual to a automatic before that it ran great
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
5/17/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Is anything after market wired into your vehicle at all with this issue like a remote start or alarm system? Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no nothing new wired in an old alarm was taken out I had it running at one point but it kept dyeing and loseing power I figured that out it was a fuel pump issue but why I was sitting on the side of the road I was trying to start it.it would try and start and then all the sudden I lost getting any spark
Did this occur after the old alarm was removed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure it was done the same timethe tranny was installed so I would have to say yes but it did run for a week or so after tht
O.k.if it did run then most likely the old alarm is not the cause here. Can you tell me the year and model as well as engine size in your vehicle here?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1991 jeep wrangler with a 4.0 motor
Test and see if the IGN LPS fuse is receiving voltage with the key on and that this fuse is o.k. and let me know. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes I have voltage on it
I apologize for the delay as I had lost power here. Disconnect the coil power connector and test between the positive and negative terminals at the coil itself for a resistance value of .97 to 1.18 ohms and let me know what you come up with here. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok from one side of the plug im reading 12v on the other side its reading 6.4
O.k.,take a multi meter and test resistance at the coil itself with the plug disconnected and see if you have the ohms/resistance reading as posted above and let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok when I test it the meter is all over the place not sure if I am doing it right im going from the positive side to the other side where the wire plugs in is that correct
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the meter set on dc volts
Correct you do this with the connections unplugged from the coil.You set the meter to resistance/ohms and test to see if you have a steady reading of between .97 to 1.18 ohms.If it is jumping around or is outside of this range here then the coil needs replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok ill do that and thank you
Your welcome
Pete, Technician