sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Grand Cherokee Limited: 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited engine

Customer Question

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited engine swaps
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please respond via chat / IM. Thanks
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
what is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bill,Thank you for your response. I have 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 with 166,000 miles. There are various codes coming with the CEL on. Also the tranny looks like it is limp mode and just drives in 3rd gear when I put it in D. The truck smokes a lot as well and smells like burning oil. The following codes show up on scanning
P0172, P0700, P0800, P0846, P0869, P0871, P0876, P0882, P0988.
The engine sputters as well and is not smooth. I am told here that the engine may need to be replace and I was looking for your advise and next steps if I were to change the Engine.
1) Based on the codes, do you think the Transmission is bad as well?
2) Do you think I need to replace the engine?
3)If engine replace is needed, what years can I use for interchangeability. I heard that any 4.7L from 1999 to 2007 should be fine.
4) My current VIN indicates that the engine has an EGR valve. If I replace do I need to get one with the EGR valve or non-EGR would work too?
5) Can I switch to a 5.7 HEMI Engine and Transmission change as well?
6) What other models and years for the engine will work as well? Dodge Durango, Dakota, Ram 1500? Please let me know the compatible years and if any modifications will be needed in these cases.Please let me know if a chat or phone call would be easier for you to respond.Thanks again.
Syed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trim I have is a Limited trim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to keep adding piecemeal info. The truck I have is a 4WD but it is not engaging since it is stuck in 3rd gear.
7) Can the replacement engine be from a 2WD truck?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!I'm showing that only a 2005 engine would be interchangeable, but it can come from a Dakota, Ram, Grand Cherokee or Durango. It wouldn't matter if the engine came from a two or four wheel drive vehicle.If the engine has EGR then you'd need a replacement with EGR.You could install a 5.7 but it wouldn't be cost effective. You'd also need the powertrain control module, a complete wiring harness, exhaust, engine accessorizes, radiator and hoses, cooling fan; essentially everything under the hood.If the trans codes are cleared do these all come back?