sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2016 jeep grand cherokee summit: I changed the oil, now it

Customer Question

2016 jeep grand cherokee summit: I changed the oil, now it won't shift out of park
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Jeep Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. I don't believe anything is related just from an oil change to the steering being locked up. Can you tell me if the brake lights work, and if you feel or hear a little click on the gear stick when you push the brake pedal? thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steering isn't locked: when you select a gear it shifts back to park with a soft click
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, so the steering isn't locked, but it won't come out of park at all and you cannot drive it correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, Can you tell me if the brake lights work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
You have the owners manual to that vehicle close by chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already read it no mention of anything related. Didn't pay you to read you the manual.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
I was going to suggest looking at page 621 where you can bypass the interlock circuit and manually release it out of park. And you haven't paid me anything yet, because I haven't even answered the question yet.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
When I answer the question , you can then rate it, but I haven't done that yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know about that servce says once you've done that it won't move
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
If you can manually release it using the steps described in the owners manual on page 621, then there is nothing physically wrong with the linkage and I would say the interlock solenoid is jammed up or failed. But if you can't even release it by using the manual method. then something has jammed the linkage inside the shifter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said release is in center compartment but I don't see it there.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Should be under that cover. in center console.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
how many miles do you have on it approximately?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Is it still covered under 3/36?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
19,000 not in center storage area
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, that's odd, owners manual says it is, it's under a cover you have to take off. I'd call Chrysler road side assistance then. They'll come out and likely fix it. (###) ###-#### *****'s still under basic warranty so any parts it may would be covered.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
may need would be covered that is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turns out there is no cover, no anything in center console: there is a tiny button you push with a pen next to knob that selects what terrain you want vehicle to think it's in. The triple A guy knew exactly how to do it want me to send you the link?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
So the owners manual is wrong? weird.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P 613:http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/servicemanuals/jeep/2016-grandcherokee.pdf
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks for your question. I've decided not to click answer since I didn't help much. Have a great night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks two jeep dealers I called weren't much help either thank you!
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Glad I was at least able to get you back on the road though! Have a great night.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!What you've described is the way to put the transfer case in neutral, that's not going to affect the transmission.You have the eight speed transmission with rotary dial shifter, correct?Are you seeing any warning messages on the instrument cluster such as service transmission?Do the brake lamps work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are done I figured it out. Thanks
Great!