Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee which drives 2 days.

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Jeep...
I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee which drives for maybe 2 days. Then the charging goes down to nothing. It never keeps a charge. Also, during the 2 days, it does work, it misfires or stalls a lot. Basically decides to die on the road.I have done the following.-Replaced the battery-Replaced the computer-Check the alternator
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
4/10/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Jeep Service, Jeep Owner replied 1 year ago
Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like a failure in your charging system. When you had the alternator checked, what was the output voltage and amperage values? Do you have that information?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't remember the values.
The alternator needs to output 14.4 volts DC at all times, under all types of electrical load. The alternator needs to output at the very minimum, 50 amps under a full electrical load. If either of these values are not met, the battery is not being charged. This really sounds like you have an alternator, that may be good, but is incapable of charging the battery and maintaining a proper delivery of the right amount of electricity. If this vehicle was in my shop, I would be doing a complete, on the vehicle alternator test, and probably replacing the alternator right afterwards as I suspect it will fail the tests.
Jeep Service
Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner