Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

My 2008 jeep commander will not start when using my fobik

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, my 2008 jeep commander will not start when using my fobik key, what do I do? I am all the way in Africa.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: well I have a mechanic, but they don't seem to know what is going on. the key can open the doors and lock it, the horn can blow, I have a new car battery. when it start and I stop it, it will delay for hours
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Jeep Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: the first time the first key said that the key was ruined. Than I start using the second key, it has been working, but two days ago it stop. I have change the battery in the fobik
JA: Our top Jeep Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Jeep Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Jeep Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help.

Do you see any security light s on in dash? Will it start and stall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a red light will come on and go off. But no not today. Yesterday when the driver try, it started, but then he cut it off, and now
it will not start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

What codes are in the SKIM module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where part of the car can I find the Skim module? but here is the Vin# *****
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

The SKIM module codes will need to be read with a scantool.. It's located around the key cylinder..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the car where I insert the fobik to start the car?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Yes correct.. I need to know what codes it has.. It could be a bad SKIM module but I won't know for sure until I know what codes it has..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay let me go and check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U1408
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Skim code is U1408
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there? I am communicating with you, all the way from Africa. Please help me. thank you kindly,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or U1403
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

WHat is your VIN number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1J8HG48K68C108119 VIN #
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

U1402-IMPLAUSIBLE ENGINE TEMPERATURE SIGNAL RECEIVED

U1408-IMPLAUSIBLE BRAKE SIGNAL RECEIVED

These are engine codes.. WHat codes are in the SKIM module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the other codes display are, U0141 and U1411
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

If you erase all the codes which ones come back active?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay let us try that
Okay there is no light on the dash board at all. the little red little red light that pop up was the security light. but U14103, U1408,U0141,U1411
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Is the red light on now? Will it start in neutral? Do you hear any clicking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the mechanic just took the fuel box down, and they are saying it looks as if water went into the fuel box from the air condition. that don't make sense to me. no the light is not on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Will the starter engage and spin the engine over? Does it have spark and fuel psi?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is my time up?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'm at lunch. It's 12:30 here. I will be back in 30min
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, are you back from lunch?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Yes..

Ok so the red light is not on and the starter will not engage and you have all the communication codes.. Can you tell me if our scanner is able to communicate with the FCM(Front Control Module) also the PCM and does it show "Ok to start"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

So it can't communicate with the FCM and the PCM shows not ok to start? Will the key lock and unlock the doors fine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where can I buy a 2008 jeep commander fobik key?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Is there a Jeep dealership nearby? If not you will need to purchase one online.. But will your scantool communicate with the SKIM module? What codes does it have because you have only give me engine codes..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad. I am talking to you all the way from Africa, I have to order it from online,and have someone bring I for me.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a scantool that will program keys?