Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

My name is ***** ***** gulick. my grandson has a 2000 jeep

Customer Question
grand cherokee laredo 4.0. coolant...
my name is ***** ***** gulick. my grandson has a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0. coolant was pushing out from under new radiator cap, we had new head, head gasket, water pump, thermostat installed by a tech school. brought it home yesterday(about 25 miles) drove about 15 miles last night with a small amount of coolant leakage. this morning he went to school and called/said pushing coolant out again with a stream behind car. any help please
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when problem first started it pushed coolant out under cap in large volume and temp went way (he claims 240 but not 260. local car people said 4.0 were noted for head gasket/head problems so had it taken to tech school they didn't find any cracks in head or noticeable problem with gasket
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
3/17/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

as the work was carried out at a school I'd 1st check some of the basics

are all of the hose clips tight, are the small diameter bleed hoses all unblocked and flowing freely back to the header tank?

Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)

I'd also suggest ensuring that you've got all the air out of the system as this sort of episode can leave pockets of air trapped and prevent the coolant from circulating properly.

So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked

If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot

As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water

Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool

Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer