Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Lights and radio work, won't crank and can't shift out of

Customer Question
park JA: Tell me a bit...
Lights and radio work, won't crank and can't shift out of park
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Changed neutral switch thinking that was it but nothing
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked fuses and changed neutral safety switch
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: Nope
JA: Our top Jeep Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Jeep Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Jeep Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
3/16/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year and model as well as engine size?

When you say it will not shift from park will the shifter move at all from park?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2008 Jeep Compass 2.0 4cyl and no the shifter won't move at all

Is there anything else acting up electronicaly in your vehicle like the wipers,windows,etc.?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have power windows, locks, or seats. Not equipped, everything is fine

Have you checked to make sure all fuses are good?

O.k.,with the key on do you have brake lights when the brake pedal is pressed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

O.k.,the integrated power control module (IPM/TIPM) sounds like it is at fault here.This sends the signals to the brake lights as well as controls the signals from the brake switch and powers up the window switches,locks and seat controls.This can also cause a no start and will keep the shifter from moving from park.Due to the common failure of the TIPM I suspect it needs replaced to correct this here.

This module is the fuse panel under hood as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y49zj7ai0nop21t/tipm-03-16.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's the fuse panel itself

Yes,the integrated power control module is the under hood fuse panel assembly.It is a control unit/ecu that fails and causes this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does anything need to be reprogrammed after its changed

It does but this is done manually after it is replaced with no special tools needed.Make sure you do not have the engine computer unplugged (which it isnt now) and after you replace this,put the key in the ignition,turn the key all the way on (right before the cranking position) and wait 12 seconds.The engine computer will program the new module on its own.Turn off the key after 12 seconds and then back on then your good to go from there.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician