How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ron Your Own Question
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Jeep
Satisfied Customers: 36044
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.
Type Your Jeep Question Here...
Ron is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am needing to bypass the ac on a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee

Customer Question

Hello, I am needing to bypass the ac on a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee with a 4.7l engine. At this time I can not remove the compressor. Is there a reroute for this using a shorter belt?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The clutch is burnt, I guess the compressor is locking up, I need to drive it until I can get it repaired. I need to reroute the belt with out the compressor.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Just to get me back home and have it repaired.
JA: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: no, I just need a belt length to omit the ac compressor.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases they make a compressor bypass pulley that can be installed with the compressor removed. Your best shout at find one for your 4.7 is through Dorman. See the link below to check and see if they have the one you need. Do to clearance there is no way to run a shorter belt and the only other option would be to replace the burned clutch and or bearing.