Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I can't make any sense of the above explanation. Can it

Customer Question
I can't make any sense...
I can't make any sense of the above explanation. Can it please be explained in simpler terms and tell me how to fix?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
3/2/2016
Jeep Mechanic: bill, jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
bill
bill, jeep master tech

what is your exact problem?

P1687 code popped up on my 2002 jeep liberty on my way home along with p0420. Can't make any sense of p1687 explanations
Not sure if relevant by replaced fuse 2 days ago...lost dash lights and just replaced muffler this weekend

I need your vin the p1687 MAY be a ghost code how did you get the code? if you tried the old key cycle method it will pop many erroneous codes a code reader is the only way to get true codes

Engine light popped on and I used the key 3 times to get the code method. VIN 1J4GL58K72W214874

the p0420 is why the check engine light came on, that code is cat efficiency failure, which means you need cat converters, when that code pops up the ONLY fix is replace the cat converters.

the p1687 is NO CLUSTER BUS MESSAGE, that means the instrument cluster is not sending OR receiving communication messages, do the gauges all work properly?

a BUS is the communication method ALL manufacturers use to link the computers together, in a jeep the instrument cluster is a computer, your jeep has about 20 computers and they all communicate on a BUS

Outside of losing dash lights Sunday ad replacing the fuse, everything seems functional at this point. Cat convertors a hard fix?
Is the p1687 an emergency at this point?

expensive to fix and can be difficult cost is USUALLY around 1000 for OEM replacements, including the special clamps oxygen sensors and labor, some aftermarket can be cheaper BUT you get what you pay for, many cheap aftermarket ones will reset a cat efficiency again.

ignore the p1687 it's a ghost if the gauges are all working ok

Is the cat convertor something we can replace ourselves? My husband is skilled and knowledgable at working on our vehicles

I CANNOT say since I do not know your husband, his skill level or what tools he has, I am in Connecticut and corrosion is a huge problem so torches are a requirement to remove frozen or rotted parts a full selection of air tools is usually requirement as well the transmission will need to be supported and the cross member will need to be removed as well to get the cat converters out, so the jeep will need to be put in the air enough to get under It, it's NOT a tough job but time consuming a pro can take several hours to replace them, an amateur will likely take longer.

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

Well crap. Thank you

ask your husband if he feels confident in attempting it only he will know