Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I swapped out my oem radio upgraded oem radio...the radio…

Customer Question
I swapped out my oem...
I swapped out my oem radio for an upgraded oem radio...the radio works but now my 2013 grand cherokee wont start. red security light is quickly flashing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
2/27/2016
Jeep Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. What does the vehicle do when you try starting it? Do you have key o push button start?

Thanks for getting back to me...I have a push button...when pushed the lights and radio come on...instrument cluster, etc...but the engine will not turn over.

Thank you. Have you checked the battery to see if it got low during the install. If the battery voltage is low enough the control module will not even allow it to attempt to crank.

I hooked up a car charger which did not seem to do anything...I've read I may need to take the WCM fuse out for 30 seconds or disconnect the battery, etc. swapping out the battery may have triggered the anti theft...the red light is flashing

If you have a voltage meter I would check the battery to make sure you have at least 12.5 volts. If so then yes, disconnect the two battery cables and touch them together away from the battery for about 30 seconds. Then install the positive and then the negative. See if that resets it.

Ok...I will report back...I read that the battery is under the passenger seat...any suggestions about accessing it?

It is very easy to get to once you lift the seat and remove the cover.

I disconnect the battery but the car still won't start.

Did you need to splice any wires on the radio or did you use the OE wiring harness?

Own harness. No splicing. Everything was oem
The break peddle is stuck near the floor.

Pull fuse M27 under the hood for a few minutes and see if it will start once you reinstall it. If not then the integrated power module may have locked in its programming and will need to be cleared with a factory scan tool.

Same issue. And now the car does not seem to be easing my keyless entry. Opens the door without a key bur won't turn on the dash lights until I insert the key fob

Do you have a voltage meter?

I don't. I let the battery charge do a while. I'll try jumping it in the morning. If that doesn't work I will haul it to the dealer.

Give the jump a shot. I am suspecting a low battery. If not then it more than likely needs to be reprogrammed. Please let me know if you need any further help then.

It turned out to be a blown fuse M28...complete system scan found no other error codes.

That is strange that the M28 fuse blew unless something was shorted when replacing the radio. Is everything fine with it now?

Everything works now. No other issues detected.

I am glad it was something simply. It still baffles me a little as to why that fuse blew. If you need anything else please let me know. Otherwise have a great weekend.