Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Have a overheating prob changed the thermostat and hose's…

Customer Question
have a overheating prob changed...
have a overheating prob changed the thermostat and hose's top hose get hot when thermostat opens still over heats fan runs when it gets hot?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
2/24/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Christopher Trevino,
 replied 2 years ago
Christopher Trevino

Hello there , I saw your question here and I wanted to try and help out. Does lower hose gets as hot as the upper hose ? Typically if there is air in the system, it will overheat. The fans come on and stay on when the temp gauge gets hot is good. We need to make sure both hoses are getting hot to ensure coolant flow.

no bottom hose cold top hot put new water pump and temp. ga. still overheating
Jeep Mechanic: Christopher Trevino,
 replied 2 years ago

I would recommend this: 1) put the heater on full blower speed, full heat. (2) with the engine coolant topped off and radiator cap on tight , turn the engine on and let the engine run. (3) check for an air bleeder screw on or near the top of the thermostat housing area. If applicable, crack this screw open but don't completely remove. Once all the air bubbles are purged, and coolant starts to flow here, tighten down the screw and you should be good to go. verify that the lower hose gets hot and the temp gauge doesn't climb past normal operating temp and you are good! Be sure to constantly monitor the coolant gauge to make sure the engine temp doesn't go into the red. If the coolant temp starts to climb too far, rev the engine speed up a little to see if that brings it down, if it starts to go into the red, turn the engine off and let cool Repeat these steps until the lower hose gets hot, that's when you know the air is purged and coolant is flowing. IMPORTANT- NEVER REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP WHEN IT IS HOT TO THE TOUCH, PRESSURIZED COOLAND CAN SPRAY AND YOU MAY GET BURNED . BE SURE TO FOLLOW ALL SAFETY PRECAUSIONS OUTLINED IN THE APPROPRIATE SERVICE PROCEDURES. Let me know how it goes, also verify the thermostat was installed in the correct direction and there are no leaks and good working radiator cap. You may have to pressure test your cooling system to further diagnose but it sounds like you just have air in the system. Hope this helps!

Jeep Mechanic: Christopher Trevino,
 replied 2 years ago

How did everything work out? If all is well would you kindly rate my services. Thank you.